This unusual combination of pearl onions and cranberries is surprisingly delicious. There's plenty of thick, dark red sauce, and the onions have a sweet-tangy taste. They'll melt in your mouth! -Lesley Tragesser, Charleston, Missouri
- 8 cups water
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) fresh pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups cranberry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel.
- In a large skillet, cook onions in butter and oil over medium heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in cranberry juice and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until onions are tender. Add cranberry sauce and lemon juice; cook and stir until mixture is thick and syrupy. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Pearl Onions in Taste of Home August/September 2003, p31
Reviews for Cranberry Pearl Onions
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review