Three fabulous flavors of fall—pears, cranberries and gingerbread—come together in this delectable dessert. It can be served warm, but my family prefers it chilled.—Sarah Badding, Langdon, North Dakota
- 4 cups cranberry juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 4 medium pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- In a large saucepan, bring the cranberry juice, sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon stick to a boil; add pears. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until pears are tender. Remove from the heat; stir in cranberries. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt; cover and pulse to blend. Add butter; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and molasses; pulse just until moistened. Press onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 325°.
- Drain pears and cranberries, reserving juice. Pat pears and cranberries dry; discard cinnamon stick.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, sugar, milk, orange peel, vanilla and salt. Stir in half of the cranberries; spoon half of mixture into tart. Slice pear halves; arrange over custard. Top with remaining custard. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until custard is set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place reserved juice in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced to 1 cup; brush over pears. Arrange remaining cranberries around tart. Chill until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Pear Tart with Gingerbread Crust in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p148
Reviews for Cranberry Pear Tart with Gingerbread Crust
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review