Cranberry Pear Relish Recipe
- 1 medium navel orange
- 4 medium pears, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1. Squeeze juice from the orange; add enough water to measure 1/2 cup. Pour into a saucepan; add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until the cranberries pop and mixture is thickened. Cool. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 cups.
One serving (1/4 cup) equals 95 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.