Cranberry Pear Relish
Tart and tempting, this relish is a traditional part of Kathie Theis' holiday menu. "It's pleasant with both poultry and pork," she notes from Monticello, Minnesota. "My husband, children and grandkids like the pairing of fall fruits and the hint of ginger and cinnamon. It tastes just like autumn."
16 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 medium navel orange
- 4 medium pears, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Squeeze juice from the orange; add enough water to measure 1/2 cup.
- Pour into a saucepan; add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until the
- cranberries pop and mixture is thickened. Cool. Cover and store in
- the refrigerator. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/4 cup) equals 95 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.