A dollop of sweet, fat-free frozen yogurt tames the tartness of juicy cranberries in this treasured crisp recipe from Ruth Fox’s Elmhurst, Illinois kitchen. “I don’t recall just where I found it,” she says, “but it’s been a family favorite for at least 20 years.” TASTY TIP For simple variations, you could also substitute apples for the pears and blueberries or strawberries for the tangy cranberries in this versatile recipe.
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 large pears, peeled and sliced
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup fat-free frozen vanilla yogurt
- In a large bowl, combine cranberries and pears. Combine the sugar substitute, sugar, 1 teaspoon flour and cinnamon; sprinkle over cranberry mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar and remaining flour. Cut in butter until crumbly; stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over cranberry mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown and pears are tender. Serve warm with frozen yogurt. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Pear Crisp in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p52
Reviews for Cranberry Pear Crisp
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review