Cranberry Pear Compote
"While simmering apples in brown sugar and cinnamon, I decided to add a ripe pear and a few cranberries to the mix," says Linda James of Greenfield, Wisconsin. "The result was a thick, tangy-sweet sauce that's terrific over frozen yogurt."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium pear, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, combine all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until the berries pop and sauce
- thickens, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warmed or
- chilled. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/4 cup) equals 85 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit.