Cranberry Orange Walnut Bread Recipe
Cranberry Bread is a natural coming from Oregon, a state famous for its cranberries. And each fall my husband and I go out and scrounge around picking up the walnuts for this delicious bread. A lady was presenting this bread at a food fair when I had the "nerve" to ask her for the recipe. She obliged, and it's been a steady item in our menu ever since. But not just at Thanksgiving—heavens, no! I freeze the berries and have a ready supply all year long.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Grated peel of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat egg. Add orange juice, peel, butter and hot water. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Gently fold in cranberries and walnuts.
- 2. Spoon into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 servings).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 177 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 209 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC