Cranberry-Orange Trifle Recipe
I make this showstopper for many occasions, slightly changing—or adding—ingredients. I sometimes add toasted coconut between the layers. —Raymonde Bourgeois, Swastika, Ontario
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- Sweetened whipped cream and orange sections
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until berries pop and mixture is thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- For custard, in a large saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot milk mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Immediately transfer to a clean bowl; stir in vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of filling; refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- To assemble, place half of the cake on the bottom of a 4-qt. trifle bowl or glass bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons orange liqueur. Layer with half of the cranberry mixture, 1/4 cup almonds and half of the custard. Repeat layers. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. Top with whipped cream and orange sections. Yield: 16 servings (1 cup each).
Originally published as Cranberry-Orange Trifle in Taste of Home December/January 2013, p69
Reviews for Cranberry-Orange Trifle(3)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Trifle >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Custard Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Fresh Cranberry Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >