- 2 packages (12 ounces each) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 loaf (16 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Sweetened whipped cream and orange sections
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until berries pop and mixture is thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- For custard, in a large saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot milk mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Immediately transfer to a clean bowl; stir in vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of filling; refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- To assemble, place half of the cake on the bottom of a 4-qt. trifle bowl or glass bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons orange liqueur. Layer with half of the cranberry mixture, 1/4 cup almonds and half of the custard. Repeat layers. Refrigerate, covered, until serving. Top with whipped cream and orange sections. Yield: 16 servings (1 cup each).
Originally published as Cranberry-Orange Trifle in Taste of Home December/January 2013, p69
Reviews for Cranberry-Orange Trifle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 10, 2013
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2013
Many asked for this recipe.
Reviewed Dec. 26, 2012
This is great! Everyone enjoyed even those who aren't big cranberry fans.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Trifle >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Custard Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Fresh Cranberry Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >