- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- GLAZE (optional):
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ORANGE BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 7 teaspoons sugar, orange peel, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cranberries, orange juice, cream and egg. Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8-in. circle. Cut into 10 wedges. Separate wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with milk; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack.
- Combine glaze ingredients if desired; drizzle over scones. Combine orange butter ingredients; serve with warm scones. Yield: 10 scones.
Reviews for Cranberry Orange Scones
Sort By :
"I LOVE scones, these?? Not so much. I just finished making them.............. They "need something" not much taste, bland. I will try them again with a little more sugar & more orange."
"Delicious! I formed them into two circles and made 16 scones instead of 10 - they are plenty big for me. Excellent!"
"I have been making these for several years now and I made them again this morning. They are easy and delicious. Great with a cup of coffee!"
"Daughter and I love these. Love the orange marmalade butter that goes with them."
"A tasty treat filled with orange flavour and loads of cranberries. I used milk instead of half and half as it is what I had and they turned out awesome. A definite make again."