Cranberry-Orange Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 1 medium orange
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 sprigs fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, parsley and sage
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Combine garlic powder, salt and pepper. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; spread half of the seasoning mixture under the skin. Sprinkle skin with remaining mixture. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- 2. Juice the orange, reserving the rind. In a large bowl, mix cranberry sauce, teriyaki sauce, honey, marmalade, soy sauce and orange juice. Remove 3-1/2 cups mixture for sauce; refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- 3. Rub remaining cranberry mixture under turkey skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Place herb sprigs and reserved orange rind in turkey cavity.
- 4. Arrange onions in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Place turkey over onions. Roast 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 5. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Discard herb sprigs and orange rind. Place reserved sauce in a small saucepan; heat through. Serve with turkey. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 cups sauce).
4 ounces cooked turkey with 2 tablespoons sauce : 257 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 34g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Cranberry-Orange Roasted Turkey
"If you haven't made this turkey you are ruining Thanksgiving!!! This is the most moist turkey EVER!!! I love the sauce and have used it in other recipes!!! I have made this recipe for the past 3 years and my family BEGS for this Turkey and the recipe!!! Thank you so much for this recipe."
"Made this turkey last year and it was the best flavor I have ever had on a turkey. Will definitely make it again this year!"
"This was very good. The turkey was infused with great herb flavor. The sauce was different but tasty, I thought. The sauce would be really good with ham and pork as well. May make the sauce again by itself for other meats. Will be making the turkey again since it is so simple to prepare."
"I used this reciepe for my Thanksgiving turkey and was told by all that the turkey "was the best ever!!" The turkey was juicy with lots of great but sublte flavor. That being said however, the cranberry orange sauce with the teriaki and soy sauce was awful but that might just be a taste preferance. But I would make less sauce next time."
"I made this turkey for Thanksgiving and it turned out to be the best turkey I have ever Eaten! MMMMM it was very good melt in your mouth juicy!!! This is a keeper recipe for life!!!!!!"