Cranberry-Orange Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 1 medium orange
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 sprigs fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, parsley and sage
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Combine garlic powder, salt and pepper. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; spread half of the seasoning mixture under the skin. Sprinkle skin with remaining mixture. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together.
- 2. Juice the orange, reserving the rind. In a large bowl, mix cranberry sauce, teriyaki sauce, honey, marmalade, soy sauce and orange juice. Remove 3-1/2 cups mixture for sauce; refrigerate, covered, until serving.
- 3. Rub remaining cranberry mixture under turkey skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Place herb sprigs and reserved orange rind in turkey cavity.
- 4. Arrange onions in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Place turkey over onions. Roast 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 5. Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Discard herb sprigs and orange rind. Place reserved sauce in a small saucepan; heat through. Serve with turkey. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 cups sauce).
4 ounces cooked turkey with 2 tablespoons sauce equals 257 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 308 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 34 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer