Cranberry-Orange Roast Ducklings Recipe
- 2 domestic ducklings (4 to 5 pounds each)
- 2 medium navel oranges, quartered
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 4 cups orange juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1. Prick skin of ducklings well. Place four orange quarters, one sprig of rosemary and 1/4 cup of cranberries in each cavity; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the orange juice, broth, soy sauce, sugar, ginger and garlic; mix well. Refrigerate 1/2 cup for the glaze. Pour 1 cup over the ducklings; sprinkle with the remaining cranberries. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover; bake 1-1/2 hours longer basting frequently with the remaining orange juice mixture. (Drain fat from pan as it accumulates.)
- 3. Combine the marmalade and reserved orange juice mixture; spread over ducklings. Bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Discard the oranges, rosemary and cranberries from cavities. Let ducklings stand for 10 minutes before carving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (8 ounces) equals 373 calories, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 517 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.