Cranberry Orange Pinwheels Recipe
The fresh cranberries give these cookies a refreshingly tangy taste and bright color. They have a great soft texture.—Pat Habiger, Spearville, Kansas
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel.
- 2. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 3. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine the cranberries, pecans and brown sugar. Cover and process until finely chopped; set aside.
- 5. Roll out one portion of dough between two sheets of waxed paper to a 10-in. square. Remove top sheet; spread dough with half of the cranberry mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style. Wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining dough and cranberry mixture. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 6. Unwrap rolls and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 80 cookies.
1 cookie equals 67 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 36 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC