Cranberry Orange Muffins
These nice, light muffins, studded with cranberries, have a splash of orange flavor. They're so simple to fix, my husband and I enjoy one for breakfast almost every morning. —Sara Eichenlaub, Burlington, Ontario
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking
- powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg, orange
- juice and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until
- moistened. Fold in cranberries.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill
- three-fourths full. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
- in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan
- to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 muffin equals 153 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 175 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.