Cranberry-Orange Crumb Tart Recipe
After my sister took the family to the local cranberry festival, my mom bet me that I couldn't make a holiday pie out of cranberries and oranges. Considering the pie was gone before the holidays arrived, I think I won! —Heather Cunningham, Whitman, Massachusetts
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. + standing Bake: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 2 cups crushed cinnamon graham crackers (about 14 whole crackers), divided
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large navel orange
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons brandy or cranberry juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, mix 1-3/4 cups crushed crackers and 1/4 cup sugar; stir in melted butter. Press onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Bake 7-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. For topping, in a small bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, and remaining crushed crackers and sugar; cut in cold butter until crumbly. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- 3. Finely grate enough peel from orange to measure 1 tablespoon. Cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of the orange; stand orange upright on a cutting board. Cut off peel and outer membrane, starting from the top. Holding orange over a bowl to catch juices, remove orange sections by cutting along the membrane. Squeeze membrane to reserve additional juice.
- 4. In a large saucepan, mix sugar, tapioca, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice. Add cranberries, brandy, grated peel and reserved juice; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 5. Bring cranberry mixture to a full boil, stirring constantly. Add orange sections; heat through. Pour into crust; sprinkle with topping. Bake 10-15 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 332 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 207 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC