Cranberry Nut Swirls Recipe
This recipe originated with my sister-in-law. It gets used a lot over the holidays when we want to "pull a fast one" on the guys in our family - they claim they don't like cranberries in any shape or form...but everyone enjoys these. -Carla Hodenfield, Ray, North Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch YIELD:21 servings
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely ground cranberries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine first four ingredients. Beat until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl occasionally. Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cranberries, walnuts and orange peel; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 10-in. square. Combine brown sugar and milk; spread over dough. Sprinkle with the cranberry mixture, leaving about a 1/2-in. edge at both ends of dough; roll up tightly, jelly-roll style. Wrap with waxed paper; chill several hours or overnight.
- 3. Cut roll into 1/4-in. slices and place on well-greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 14-15 minutes or until edges are light brown. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 130 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 81 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC