- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely ground cranberries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Combine butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl occasionally. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture, beating well. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Combine cranberries, walnuts and orange peel; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 10-in. square. Combine brown sugar and milk; brush over dough. Sprinkle with cranberry mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up tightly, jelly-roll style. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate until firm, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on well-greased baking sheets. Bake until edges are light brown, 14-15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forCranberry Nut Swirls
"These roll up nicely and have a pleasant cranberry flavor!!"
"These are so good and pretty too.I will make these agan."
"I made these with fresh/frozen cranberrys and chopped it all up in the food processor. Turned out delish. Cookies were gone at the office in a short peroid of time."
"These did not look anything like the picture, for me. The recipe does not specify whether to use fresh or dried cranberries - I chose dried. Flavor is okay, but I would double the filling, grind the cranberries much more next time and try to find some way to get the dough to actually remain round while chilling. Overall, a little disappointing."