No one will believe a chiffon dessert this pretty, rich and chock-full of cranberries and nuts could be so light. No one! “It‘s simply delicious,“ says Rose Mary Liptock in Uniontown, Pennsylvania.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) fat-free cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; coat with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick). Fold in cranberries and pecans.
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, butter and extract. Set aside 1-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar. Gradually beat remaining sugar into cream cheese mixture. Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Sprinkle with reserved confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry-Nut Jelly Roll in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p54
Reviews for Cranberry-Nut Jelly Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review