Cranberry Nut Bagels Recipe
"After 3 years of trial and error, I came up with a simple and delicious bagel recipe for the bread machine," says John Russel of Greentown, Indiana. "Now I enjoy trying variations, like this fruit and nut favorite."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In bread machine pan, place the first seven ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add the cranberries and pecans.
- 2. When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Divide into eight balls. Push thumb through the center of each ball to form a 1-in. hole. Place on a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Drop bagels, one at a time, into boiling water. Cook for 45 seconds; turn and cook 45 seconds longer. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- 4. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over bagels. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to wire rack to cool. Yield: 8 bagels.
1 serving (1 each) equals 250 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 297 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC