Cranberry-Mushroom Beef Brisket Recipe
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup thawed cranberry juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the broth, cranberry juice concentrate, vinegar, rosemary and garlic; pour into a large roasting pan. Top with onion slices.
- 2. Season beef with salt and pepper; place fat side up in the pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove meat and thinly slice across the grain. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. For gravy, skim fat from cooking juices; pour into a saucepan. Combine flour, water and browning sauce if desired until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cover and refrigerate.
- 5. Place beef slices in a shallow baking dish; top with mushrooms, cranberries and gravy. Cover and bake at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until heated through and mushrooms are tender. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews for Cranberry-Mushroom Beef Brisket
"I made this recipe for our Christmas Eve family dinner. Everyone absolutely loved it! I like it because I could make it a day ahead of time and just had to reheat it. It does require a long time to roast, but it's worth it."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.