Cranberry Muffins Recipe
There's an abundance of cranberries in our area during the fall, and this recipe is one of my most favorite ways to use them. I've often given these fresh-baked muffins as a small gift to friends, and they're always well received.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped cranberries
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, salt and orange peel. Cut in shortening until crumbly. In a small bowl, the orange juice, eggs, and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cranberries and nuts.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 231 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC