Cranberry Muffin Mix Recipe
"We enjoy muffins so much that I created this quick and simple mix," shares Ruth Andrewson of Leavenworth, Washington. Cranberries give these golden treats a burst of color and just a bit of tartness that will keep friends and family asking for the recipe.
- 8-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: about 4 batches (11-1/2 cups total).
- 2. To prepare muffins: Place 2-3/4 cups muffin mix in a bowl. Combine the egg, milk and butter; stir into mix just until moistened. Fold in cranberries. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 208 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC