"We enjoy muffins so much that I created this quick and simple mix," shares Ruth Andrewson of Leavenworth, Washington. Cranberries give these golden treats a burst of color and just a bit of tartness that will keep friends and family asking for the recipe.
- 8-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: about 4 batches (11-1/2 cups total).
- To prepare muffins: Place 2-3/4 cups muffin mix in a bowl. Combine the egg, milk and butter; stir into mix just until moistened. Fold in cranberries. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Muffin Mix in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p22
Reviews for Cranberry Muffin Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 22, 2014
"These muffins were very good and everyone liked,my only critic is I would have liked them to be a little more moist."