"We enjoy muffins so much that I created this quick and simple mix," shares Ruth Andrewson of Leavenworth, Washington. Cranberries give these golden treats a burst of color and just a bit of tartness that will keep friends and family asking for the recipe.
- 8-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: about 4 batches (11-1/2 cups total).
- To prepare muffins: Place 2-3/4 cups muffin mix in a bowl. Combine the egg, milk and butter; stir into mix just until moistened. Fold in cranberries. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Muffin Mix in Quick Cooking November/December 2001, p22
Reviews for Cranberry Muffin Mix
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 22, 2014
"These muffins were very good and everyone liked,my only critic is I would have liked them to be a little more moist."