Cranberry Meringue Pie Recipe
"This sweet-tart cranberry pie is simply mouthwatering and a nice change for the holidays from the typical apple and pumpkin pies."Tina Dierking, Showhegan, Maine.
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1. Place cranberries in a food processor; cover and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- 2. In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries and next seven ingredients. Let stand for 5 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Keep warm.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon warm filling into pastry shell.
- 4. Spread meringue evenly over filling, sealing to crust. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 hour. Chill, covered, for at least 4 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
One piece equals 329 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 202 mg sodium, 64 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC