Cranberry Maple Chicken
Cranberries and a hint of maple syrup make a sweet sauce for these easy chicken breast halves. They’re a quick but lovely main course for weeknights and other occasions. –Kim Pettipas of Oromocto, New Brunswick
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, water and sugar. Cook
- over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick
- skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on
- each side or until juices run clear. Stir syrup into cranberry
- mixture; serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 chicken breast half with 3 tablespoons sauce equals 236 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 253 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot