A doily-lined tray piled high with these cookies never fails to draw exclamations of admiration from all who see them. Crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside, the cookies have a wonderful taste and texture.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup sliced almonds, chopped
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried cranberries
- 3 cups cornflakes, finely crushed
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and almond extract on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Add food coloring if desired. Fold in the almonds, coconut, cranberries and cornflakes.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto well-greased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 20-22 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: About 4-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Macaroons in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2005, p45
Reviews for Cranberry Macaroons
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review