Cranberry Lemon Bread Recipe
Laced with lemon flavor and studded with tangy cranberries, this quick bread is an old family favorite.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/4 cups dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the sour cream and lemon extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until combined. Fold in cranberries and poppy seeds if desired.
- 2. Pour into four greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4 mini loaves (6 slices each).
1 serving (1 piece) equals 190 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC