Cranberry Layer Cake Recipe
I adapted a Bundt cake recipe to create this layer cake. Cranberries, walnuts and homemade frosting make it taste so delicious that you'd never guess it starts with a convenient cake mix. —Sandy Burkett, Galena, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Stir in cranberries and walnuts. Transfer batter to prepared pans.
- 2. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar and orange peel until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 608 calories, 33 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 423 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC