- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Stir in cranberries and walnuts. Transfer batter to prepared pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar and orange peel until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate leftovers.
Freeze option: Wrap cooled cake layers in plastic wrap, then cover securely in foil; freeze. To use, thaw cakes before unwrapping. Assemble as directed. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cranberry Layer Cake
"Outstanding! I made this as directed, then again as cupcakes for my daughter-in-laws baby shower. Everyone loved the cup cakes! Thanks so much for this recipe. It is a keeper."
"Wish I could give it more than 5 stars. This cake is so delicious with the hint of orange in the frosting and the cake and the cranberries are perfect in this cake. The walnuts add just the right taste to go with the other flavors. My husband asked me to make this to take to the family Christmas dinner!"