Cranberry Kolaches Recipe
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 cup grated peeled tart apple
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- GLAZE (optional):
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or orange extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Using the back of a spoon, make a 1-1/2-in.-wide well in the center of each roll. Combine filling ingredients; spoon into each well. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- 4. If glaze is desired, combine confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over rolls. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 198 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry Kolaches
"very easy and tasty. love the cran-apple filling"