- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 cup grated peeled tart apple
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- GLAZE (optional):
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or orange extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk, water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Do not knead. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Using the back of a spoon, make a 1-1/2-in.-wide well in the center of each roll. Combine filling ingredients; spoon into each well. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- If glaze is desired, combine confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over rolls. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Kolaches in Country Woman March/April 2004, p31
Reviews for Cranberry Kolaches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 26, 2011
"very easy and tasty. love the cran-apple filling"