16 ServingsPrep: 30 min + chilling
- 1 cup turbinado (washed raw) sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cranberry juice, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- Ice cubes
- 6 cups vodka
- Fresh mint leaves and additional cranberries
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, 1/2 cup cranberry juice,
- cranberries and jalapeno. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from
- the heat. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Strain; discarding cranberries and jalapeno. Cover and refrigerate
- syrup for at least 2 hours or until chilled.
- For each serving, fill a mixing glass or tumbler three-fourths full
- with ice. Add 3 ounces vodka, 1 tablespoon cranberry juice and 1
- tablespoon cranberry syrup; stir until condensation forms on outside
- of glass. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Repeat. Garnish with
- mint and cranberries if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (calculated without garnishes) equals 252 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.