Cranberry Jalapeno Cheese Spread Recipe
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- Assorted crackers
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in cranberry mixture until blended. Serve with crackers. Yield: 2 cups.
2 tablespoons (calculated without crackers) equals 88 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 63 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.