Cranberry Icebox Cookies Recipe
These crisp cookies are especially popular at Thanksgiving and Christmas with a cup of hot tea or coffee. It's convenient to bake a batch, too, because you can store the dough in the fridge until needed. —Gloria Anderson, Paso Robles, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:33 servings
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts. Carefully stir in cranberries. Shape into three 7-in. rolls; wrap each roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 2. Cut into 1/4-in. slices and place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 178 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 134 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC