Cranberry Icebox Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts. Carefully stir in cranberries. Shape into three 7-in. rolls; wrap each roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 2. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 178 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 134mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry Icebox Cookies
"I've made these a few times. As written, I'd probably give this 3 stars because they have a nice texture, even when I substitute ground flax mixed with water for the egg (use a fork to mix water with ground flax, about 2 heaping forkfuls mixed with a little less than 1/4 c. water to get an "eggy" consistency, use 1/4 c. of this mixture per egg). If you use the flax instead of the egg, you can eat the raw dough without worrying about salmonella. I buy whole flax seeds from the bin at the health food store and grind them in a coffee grinder and store in the fridge or freezer and if it smells fishy, it's gone bad. I increase the almond extract to 2 teaspoons because I found the dough to be kind of bland. I rarely use the walnuts as they are expensive and I don't typically have them. This dough freezes well so you can just slice off how much you want and bake as needed or have it ready for your holiday baking."
"I've been making these since the recipe was first printed. Very tasty! I sprinkle them with sugar before baking."
"They where OK but nothing that I would make over and over."
"I added 1 cup ivory chips to dough. Excellent"