This traditional Christmas dessert was first made in our family by my grandma. She handed the recipe down to my mother, who then shared it with me and my two sisters. The cold tart treat is a wonderful accompaniment to a traditional turkey dinner. Carolyn Butterworth, Spirit Lake, Iowa
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, bring cranberries and water to a boil. Cook over
- medium heat until the berries pop, about 10 minutes. Remove from the
- heat; cool slightly. Press mixture through a sieve or food mill,
- reserving juice and discarding skins and seeds.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; set aside. In a
- saucepan, combine cranberry mixture and sugar; cook and stir until
- sugar is dissolved and mixture just begins to boil. Remove from the
- heat. Stir in gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.
- Add lemon juice.
- Transfer to a shallow 1-qt. freezer container. Cover and freeze until
- ice begins to form around the edges of container, about 1 hour; stir
- mixture. Freeze until slushy, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 167 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium,