Cranberry Ice Cream
"A traditional treat for Christmas and Thanksgiving, this recipe was my great-grandmother's," relates Nona Dumas of Wilmar, Arkansas. "It was serve in a parfait glass along with the meal. We children thought it was really special to be able to eat ice cream before we were through with our vegetables!"
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, cook cranberries and water over medium heat
- until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Strain; discard seeds and
- skins. Cool completely. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat milk to
- 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Cool. Stir in the cream,
- juices and cranberry mixture.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to
- manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready
- to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the
- refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 109 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 14 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.