Why serve ordinary beets when you can dress them up with an extraordinary cranberry glaze? Folks who don't care for beets will find them irresistible.—Louise Piper, Garner, Iowa
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced beets
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Drain the beets, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set aside. In a saucepan,
- combine cornstarch, sugar, vinegar and salt; mix until smooth. Stir
- in beet juice and cranberry juice; bring to a boil. Cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in
- raisins and let stand for 5 minutes. Add beets cook over low heat
- for 2 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 81 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 189 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.