Cranberry Ginger Tart
I love desserts that look this impressive but are actually simple to make. This almond-crusted tart will charm guests, especially when served with fresh, orange-infused whipped cream. —Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
12 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- In a small bowl, combine the almonds, butter and sugar; press onto
- the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan
- with removable bottom. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until
- edges are golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the cranberries, cornstarch and
- ginger. In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on
- medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in confectioners'
- sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form;
- gently fold in cranberry mixture.