I modified this recipe from a heart-smart cookbook, and my husband loved it," writes Jennifer Wertz from Council Bluffs, Iowa. "The muffins make great on-the-go breakfasts or afterwork snacks, so I bake a batch each week...often replacing cranberries with blueberries."
- 1-1/2 cups bran flakes cereal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons whole flaxseed
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Whisk the egg, egg whites, buttermilk, honey and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in cranberries.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paperliners; fill two-thirds full. Sprinkle with whole flaxseed. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Flax Muffins in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p60
Reviews for Cranberry Flax Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review