Cranberry Eggnog Braid Recipe
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups eggnog
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons eggnog
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash nutmeg
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups of flour, sugar, salt, yeast and nutmeg; set aside. In a saucepan, heat eggnog and butter to 120°-130° (the butter does not need to melt); add to flour mixture. Beat on low until moistened; beat on medium for 3 minutes.
- 2. Stir in cranberries and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Shape each third into a 16-in. rope. Braid ropes on a greased baking sheet; seal ends. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Immediately remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine the first three glaze ingredients; drizzle over braid. Dust with nutmeg. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 257 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry Eggnog Braid
"This bread is so easy and very tasty."
"Thanks for all the nice reviews. I also use a 1/4 teaspoon rum extract instead of vanilla in the glaze. It gives it a wonderful "Tom & Jerry" feel."
"I made this as a gift for a friend, and she raved about it. I can't wait to try it myself!"
"This was okay. I made it without the glaze since I used up all the eggnog in the bread. It smelled great while baking and the eggnog taste is pleasantly strong, but I can't figure out what to put on top of it."
"I have made this almost every year since it came out. To make it look more festive I add a few red sprinkles. A great recipe to add to anyone's Christmas tradition."
"I have been making this recipes for YEARS, AS IS. It came in a batch of Taste of Home recipe cards I bought and it is always a hit. Love it!"
"made this for Christmas and everyone loved it especially my kids! very good!"
"I have been making this recipe for several years it is always appreciated!"