Cranberry Eggnog Braid Recipe
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups eggnog
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons eggnog
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash nutmeg
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups of flour, sugar, salt, yeast and nutmeg; set aside. In a saucepan, heat eggnog and butter to 120°-130° (the butter does not need to melt); add to flour mixture. Beat on low until moistened; beat on medium for 3 minutes.
- 2. Stir in cranberries and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Shape each third into a 16-in. rope. Braid ropes on a greased baking sheet; seal ends. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Immediately remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine the first three glaze ingredients; drizzle over braid. Dust with nutmeg. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 257 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry Eggnog Braid
"Thanks for all the nice reviews. I also use a 1/4 teaspoon rum extract instead of vanilla in the glaze. It gives it a wonderful "Tom & Jerry" feel."
"I made this as a gift for a friend, and she raved about it. I can't wait to try it myself!"
"I have made this almost every year since it came out. To make it look more festive I add a few red sprinkles. A great recipe to add to anyone's Christmas tradition."
"I have been making this recipes for YEARS, AS IS. It came in a batch of Taste of Home recipe cards I bought and it is always a hit. Love it!"
"made this for Christmas and everyone loved it especially my kids! very good!"
"I have been making this recipe for several years it is always appreciated!"