When cranberries are in season, I get this recipe out and make these tasty doughnuts. When my children were small, I'd usually double the recipe and sometimes the doughnuts would all be gone before they could cool.
9 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, beat egg; add sugar and butter. Combine flour, baking
- powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately
- with milk. Stir in cranberries.
- Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 375°. Drop
- tablespoonfuls of batter into oil. Fry doughnuts a few at a time,
- turning with a slotted spoon until golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while still warm. Yield:
- 1-1/2 dozen.