Cranberry Date Bars Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place cranberries, dates and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until berries pop, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- 2. Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt; stir in melted butter. Press half of the mixture into an ungreased 13x9-in. pan. Bake 8 minutes.
- 3. Spoon cranberry mixture over crust. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture; pat down gently. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. Mix glaze ingredients. Drizzle over top. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Cranberry Date Bars
"Way too sweet. Mine did not look attractive like the picture. No way yield would be 36 as stated."
"These bars are delicious! I questioned adding only 2 T of water, but it was enough. I sprinkled some coconut atop the cranberry date mixture before adding the remaining of the oat mixture. I halved the amount of glaze and it was fine with less sugar."
"My husband loves these! I add about a 1/4 cup orange instead of water to the cranberries and dates. Works great."
"So good! I've made this many times and it always goes over great!"
"These have been a hit in our family of seven. Everyone who tastes these asks me for the recipe! The combination of dates and fresh cranberries is just perfect and the topping is amazing!! My kids say their favorite part is the crumble topping which I double when making this recipe. It is also great on cobblers! I have given this recipe out countless times and am often asked to bring this to potlucks--it is a winner!!!"
"Yummy! My cranberried did not pop after 15 minutes on low, however...had turn up to medium to get the mixture nice & goopy. I baked in an 11x7 pan and they turned out great!~ Theresa"
"I like the sweet tart mixture of these bars"
"Everyone loved these bars. It is sweet. I used 1-1/4 cups brown sugar and cut the recipe for the glaze in half and it was perfect."
"Disappointed....much toooo sweet. I also cut down on the glaze but it was still so sweet; it didn't even need the glaze. Don't think I'll make this again."
"I make these for my colleagues at work and they LOVE them. I do cut back on the glaze though."