Cranberry Date Bars Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a covered saucepan over low heat, simmer cranberries, dates and water for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the cranberries have popped. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Stir in butter until well blended. Pat half into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes.
- 3. Spoon cranberry mixture over crust. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture. Pat gently. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
2 each: 339 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Cranberry Date Bars
"Way too sweet. Mine did not look attractive like the picture. No way yield would be 36 as stated."
"These bars are delicious! I questioned adding only 2 T of water, but it was enough. I sprinkled some coconut atop the cranberry date mixture before adding the remaining of the oat mixture. I halved the amount of glaze and it was fine with less sugar."
"My husband loves these! I add about a 1/4 cup orange instead of water to the cranberries and dates. Works great."
"So good! I've made this many times and it always goes over great!"
"These have been a hit in our family of seven. Everyone who tastes these asks me for the recipe! The combination of dates and fresh cranberries is just perfect and the topping is amazing!! My kids say their favorite part is the crumble topping which I double when making this recipe. It is also great on cobblers! I have given this recipe out countless times and am often asked to bring this to potlucks--it is a winner!!!"
"Yummy! My cranberried did not pop after 15 minutes on low, however...had turn up to medium to get the mixture nice & goopy. I baked in an 11x7 pan and they turned out great!~ Theresa"
"I like the sweet tart mixture of these bars"
"Everyone loved these bars. It is sweet. I used 1-1/4 cups brown sugar and cut the recipe for the glaze in half and it was perfect."
"Disappointed....much toooo sweet. I also cut down on the glaze but it was still so sweet; it didn't even need the glaze. Don't think I'll make this again."
"I make these for my colleagues at work and they LOVE them. I do cut back on the glaze though."