- 3 eggs, separated
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1-3/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1-1/4 cups plus 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- Dash salt
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, orange peel, 1/2 cup sugar, water, salt and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Combine 4 teaspoons cornstarch and orange juice until smooth; stir into cranberry mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In another small saucepan, heat 3/4 cup sugar and 1-3/4 cups milk until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a small bowl, combine the remaining cornstarch and milk. Whisk in egg yolks until blended. Add a small amount of hot milk mixture; return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Whisk vigorously over medium heat as mixture begins to thicken (mixture will become very thick). Bring to a boil; whisk 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; whisk in butter and vanilla. Transfer custard to crust; spread evenly with reserved cranberry mixture.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Custard Meringue Pie in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p54
Reviews for Cranberry Custard Meringue Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review