Cranberry Creme Brulee Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 10 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, granulated sugar, water and salt. Cook over medium heat 12-15 minutes or until berries pop, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Spoon 2 tablespoons sauce into each of eight 6-oz. broiler-safe ramekins or custard cups; refrigerate 10 minutes. Cover and refrigerate remaining sauce until serving.
- 2. For custard, in a small saucepan, heat 1 cup cream over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat. In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and granulated sugar until smooth. Slowly stir in hot cream. Stir in vanilla and remaining cream.
- 3. Place prepared ramekins in a baking pan large enough to hold them without touching. Spoon custard over cranberry sauce. Place pan on oven rack; add 1 in. of very hot water to pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until set (centers will still be soft). Immediately remove ramekins from water bath to a wire rack; cool 10 minutes. Refrigerate at least 8 hours or until cold.
- 4. To caramelize topping with a kitchen torch, gently blot surface of custard with a paper towel to remove any moisture. Sprinkle tops with superfine sugar. Hold torch flame 2 in. above custard surface and rotate it slowly until sugar is evenly caramelized.
- 5. To caramelize topping in a broiler, place ramekins on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Preheat broiler. Gently blot surface of custard with a paper towel to remove any moisture. Sprinkle tops with superfine sugar. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until sugar is caramelized.
- 6. Serve custards with remaining cranberry sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 530 calories, 34 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 368 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry Creme Brulee
"The tart of the cranberry was a perfect holiday taste"
"Wonderful texture, easy and everyone loved it"