Cranberry Cornmeal Dressing Recipe
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large fennel bulb, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 4 cups soft French or Italian bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh savory
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup broth, cornmeal, salt and pepper until smooth. In a large saucepan, bring remaining broth to a boil. Add cornmeal mixture, stirring constantly. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. Crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet; add onion and fennel. Cook over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in egg yolk and cornmeal mixture. Add bread crumbs, cranberries, parsley, vinegar, sage, savory and nutmeg.
- 3. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
2/3 cup: 205 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 695mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1 lean meat
Reviews for Cranberry Cornmeal Dressing
"This recipe is absolutely awesome and definitely a keeper. My family absolutely loves it and we'll be making it many more times."