Cranberry Corn Bread
During the holidays, I make several pans of this sweet cake-like corn bread for family and friends. Whole blueberries--coated in flour--can be used in place of the cranberries.
9-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup cranberries, halved
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs;
- mix well. Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Add
- to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in cranberries.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 375° for
- 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 255 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 286 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.