Cranberry Coffee Cake Wedges Recipe
“A friend gave me this recipe, but it was with raisins and regular sugar, butter and sour cream which I changed to Splenda, light butter and fat-free yogurt. My husband can't tell I've changed anything but the raisins!” Carol Barbee - Jasper, Montana
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar blend, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold reduced-fat butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Place cranberries in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar blend, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in reserved cranberries. Combine yogurt and egg yolk; add to crumb mixture and stir until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky).
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Transfer to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pat into a 9-in. circle; cut into eight wedges, but do not separate. Beat egg white; brush over dough. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar blend; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 wedge equals 202 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 412 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC