“A friend gave me this recipe, but it was with raisins and regular sugar, butter and sour cream which I changed to Splenda, light butter and fat-free yogurt. My husband can't tell I've changed anything but the raisins!” Carol Barbee - Jasper, Montana
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar blend, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold reduced-fat butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place cranberries in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar blend, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in reserved cranberries. Combine yogurt and egg yolk; add to crumb mixture and stir until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Transfer to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pat into a 9-in. circle; cut into eight wedges, but do not separate. Beat egg white; brush over dough. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar blend; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Coffee Cake Wedges in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p17
Reviews for Cranberry Coffee Cake Wedges
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2009
"I will increase the fruit to 1/2 C next time I make this, but it was quite tasty."