Cranberry Coffee Cake Wedges Recipe
“A friend gave me this recipe, but it was with raisins and regular sugar, butter and sour cream which I changed to Splenda, light butter and fat-free yogurt. My husband can't tell I've changed anything but the raisins!” Carol Barbee - Jasper, Montana
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar blend, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold reduced-fat butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place cranberries in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar blend, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in reserved cranberries. Combine yogurt and egg yolk; add to crumb mixture and stir until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 6-8 times. Transfer to a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Pat into a 9-in. circle; cut into eight wedges, but do not separate. Beat egg white; brush over dough. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar blend; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 425° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Coffee Cake Wedges in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p17
Reviews for Cranberry Coffee Cake Wedges(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 1, 2009
I will increase the fruit to 1/2 C next time I make this, but it was quite tasty.