Beverly McClarren mixes cranberries, coconut and a little orange peel into the filling of her rich pecan bars. "I happened upon the recipe while watching television," notes the Findlay, Ohio baker. "Whenever i serve them, people ask for the recipe.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, pecans, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press onto a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Combine the eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla; add to the dry ingredients. Fold in the cranberries, coconut, pecans and orange peel. Pour over crust. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 to 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Cranberry Pecan Bars in Quick Cooking November/December 2004, p17
Reviews for Cranberry Coconut Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review