Cranberry Christmas Canes Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon peel; cut in butter until crumbly. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk and eggs. Stir into flour mixture until blended. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. In a saucepan, combine the filling ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 5 minutes longer; cool.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll one portion into an 18-in. x 15-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold one short side to center over filling; repeat with other side, making a 15-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Pinch seam to seal. Cut into 15 slices. Twist each slice and form a cane shape.
- 4. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise is a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Meanwhile combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm rolls. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 199 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Cranberry Christmas Canes
"This is a family favourite at Christmas!"